Friday, April 15, 2011

Haha score!!

And not in the way most people would think either.

I just moved into Mississauga about two weeks and a half ago. Since I sprained my ankle about 3 weeks ago and is finally getting better, I decided to go out and explore. Of course, after living here for so long, I still haven't gotten used to the layout of the neighborhood. This is where an Iphone comes in handy. It's got this nifty map application and I spent half a day looking up all the Tim Horton's or Wendy's and by some luck, I spotted Nando's on the map!

Now Nando's is definitely something special. It was one of my favorite places to eat in Australia, no matter which city I was in. Yes, I know it's Portuguese food. It's damn good Portuguese food. It's menu focuses on grilled chicken in every way conceivable. It's got the usual quarter chicken, half chicken, dozen wings and double leg. Then they've got the kebabs, the sandwich, the pita, the burger and the wrap. They've also got the plate which is a taster plate which they don't have in Australia. The Nando's here also have appetizers called Peritizers, including hummus and chicken livers. They there are different extras like creamy Havarti, cheddar cheese and pineapples. Their meals come with either one side or two.

I was really disappointed when I walked inside and looked through the menu because I was really looking forward to eating the paella again. They didn't have it though, the girl behind the counter suggested the kebab and the spiced rice which is basically the same thing but it isn't. In Australia, the paella is made of chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces and then cooked in the Peri-Peri sauce with red and green capsicums (bell peppers for those who are not from Australia) which is then poured on top of the rice. It is much tastier but since there is no better alternative, I guess it is kebabs and spiced rice for me.

One of the most noticeable differences though is that the Peri-ometer of hotness is worded differently. They still have the lemon and herbs, the hot and the extra hot. While its mild in Australia, it's medium here in Canada. Now don't quote me on this since it could be because I haven't had Nando's for a long time, but it seems like the medium here in Canada is hotter than the mild in Australia.

Their Peri-Peri chips were really good.

In other news, I applied to the customer representative posting on the Indigo website today. I had wanted to work in a bookstore ever since I was in University but I never had the time. Uni was kicking my ass right then. Well now, maybe I have a chance. Who knows.

Also, today I went to a guy who practices Chinese medicine to look at my ankle. After he finished massaging my foot and ankle, he sent me home with a poultice wrapped around my ankle (for 8 hours) and my wallet 60 dollars lighter with instructions to go back tomorrow morning. I was worried that my foot wasn't healing properly but the guy was really good. He gave me more confidence leading me to believe that my ankle will probably heal and that I will get through this mostly unscathed. I'm definitely crossing my fingers even if there's going to be a hole in my wallet in the near future.

Oh and one more thing: my friends are awesome. You know who you are. Thank you. Thank you for letting me stay in your home while I look for a job (I'm a total freeloader) and driving me everywhere because I can't walk. Thank you for caring. You guys are the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment